These cute little cheese wedges are my tribute to The Nutcracker’s main antagonist: the Mouse King! They’re super easy to throw together and simply delicious. They’re also really easy to customize based on what you’ve got in your fridge (I found lots of different versions on Pinterest and altered them to suit my needs). Whip some up to enjoy while watching The Nutcracker…or for your next Christmas party!
Mouse King Cheese Bites
- 8 round wheat crackers (I used Toasteds)
- 8 Babybel cheese wedges (Any white flavor will do. I used Asiago.)
- 16 black peppercorns
- 1 red bell pepper
- 16 almond slices
- 2-3 green onions (chives work too, though you’ll need more of them)
- 1 slice cheddar cheese, optional (You can make crowns for all the mice, a crown for just one, or no crowns if you’d like them to be normal mice.)
Makes 8 cheese and cracker mice
- Unwrap your cheese wedges and place them on your crackers.
- Cut your bell pepper into strips and cut 8 tiny triangles from one of the strips. Place them on the tip of each cheese wedge to create a nose.
- Place two peppercorns toward the middle of each wedge to create eyes and two almond slices at the back of the wedge for ears.
- Slice your green onions into 32 narrow, 1/2″ long strips and 8 wider, 3″-4″ long strips (these will be whiskers and tales). Use a toothpick to poke 2 narrow onion strips into both sides of each cheese wedge near the nose. Poke a long strip into the back of each wedge at the bottom.
- If you want crowns, cut your cheese into 8 ¼”x ½” rectangles and cut two tiny triangles out of the top of each rectangle. Lay these in front of the ears.
- Enjoy your Mouse King cheese bites while watching the latest production of The Nutcracker!