In Divergent, Tris associates two foods with her home faction of Abnegation: plain peas and chicken breast. When she’s feeling homesick, she finds herself drawn to these foods in the Dauntless lunchroom. She doesn’t realize it at the time, but the reasons Tris feels so torn between Abnegation and Dauntless is because she’s a blend of the two. Today, we’re paying tribute to Tris’ Divergent nature with a side dish fit for both factions: Abnegation Pea Pod Fries, simple roasted peas-in-the-pod with just a little Dauntless cayenne kick, inspired by a recipe by The Smart Cookie Cook. A fitting side dish for our Dauntless Burger!
Here’s to simple, healthy food with lots of flavor…because sometimes you shouldn’t have to choose. 😉
Abnegation Pea Pod Fries
“The dormitory, at least, is quiet. I stare at my plate of food. I just grabbed what looked good to me at the time, and now that I take a closer look, I realize that I chose a plain chicken breast, a scoop of peas, and a piece of brown bread. Abnegation food.
“I sigh. Abnegation is what I am. It is what I am when I’m not thinking about what I’m doing. It is what I am when I am put to the test. It is what I am even when I appear to be brave. Am I in the wrong faction?”
- 13 oz (about 1 1/2 cups) fresh pea pods
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
- You can also add a little garlic powder if you want. I found it added some depth, but I kept things simple here to better fit our Abnegation theme.
Makes approximately 4 servings
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Line two baking sheets with tinfoil and lightly brush them with olive oil. Arrange your pods on the pans so that they are not touching.
- Lightly brush both sides of the pods on your first sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle them with a light dusting of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.
- Throw the pan in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tips have browned, flipping the pods and rotating the pan halfway through.
- While you wait, oil and season the pods on your second baking sheet. When the first sheet is finished, remove it to the top of the stove and bake your second sheet the same way as the first.
- If you’re in Abnegation, give them to others. If you’re in Dauntless, eat them all yourself. If you’re Divergent, do whatever you want—you make your own rules! 😉