Our entree today comes from Hayao Miyazaki’s Ponyo, a retelling of The Little Mermaid. I love Ponyo’s preoccupation with food in the film, especially ham! Her reaction when Sosuke’s mom serves pork ramen soup is adorable!
This ramen soup recipe is a recreation of the one in the movie, featuring classic ramen noodles, hard boiled eggs, green onions, and of course ham! It’s a savory, salty, satisfying dish—sure to make you feel nice and cozy on a stormy night. 🙂
“Ponyo loves ham!”
- 2 packages of ramen (The pre-packaged kind is more authentic to the film, since that’s how Sosuke’s mom makes it.)
- 1 green onion
- 4 slices ham
- 1 egg
Makes 2 bowls of ramen
- Boil 4 cups of water and add the noodles from one pack of ramen. Cook for as long as the package suggests. When the noodles are cooked, stir in the seasoning packets from both packages of ramen.
- While you wait, boil the egg. You can make it soft or hard boiled. I decided to make an 8-minute egg. When the egg is cool enough to handle. Peel away the shell and cut the egg in half lengthwise.
- Slice up the green onion.
- Scoop your ramen soup into serving bowls and top with egg, green onion, and ham.
- Serve to a new friend to keep them cozy during a seaside storm. 🙂
Craving more pasta? Check out our Pasta alla Fiorella!