In Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deanna Troi’s love affair with chocolate is the stuff of legend. She eats it almost every day, and even has a specific technique for eating ice cream sundaes (Hint: it involves a lot of slow bites and savoring). I always thought her signature sundae looked super delicious, so I decided to make it here on the blog! This decadent ice cream dessert features homemade chocolate ice cream, chocolate fudge, and chocolate chips…plus double chocolate Pirouette cookies, whipped cream, and a cherry for good measure!
P.S. I used the chocolate ice cream recipe that came with my ice cream maker, but feel free to substitute store-bought ice cream if you’re strapped for time. 🙂
Deanna Troi’s Triple Chocolate Sundae
“Commander Riker: I had no idea it was such a ritual.
Deanna Troi: Chocolate is a serious thing.”
- For the Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- For the Toppings
- 4 tbsp chocolate fudge
- 4 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 2 Pirouette cookies
- 2 cherries and 2 tbsp whipped cream, optional
Makes 2 ice cream sundaes
- To make the ice cream whisk the cocoa, plain sugar, dark brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the milk and whisk until everything is dissolved. Whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover the bowl and chill for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Turn on your ice cream maker and pour in the chocolate mix. Allow it to mix for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Scrape it into a Tupperware container for storing. Place the lid on the container and freeze for 10 minutes or until semi firm.
- Cut your pirouettes in half. Place 3 scoops of ice cream in a serving dish. Add half your fudge, chocolate chips, whipped cream, and cherries. Place two Pirouette pieces into your sundae at an angle.
- Repeat Step 3 for your second sundae.
- Treat yourself and a friend after a long of day of hard work on a starship. Don’t forget to savor! 🙂
Still craving ice cream? Check out our Flying Cow Milkshakes!