This Shrubbery Salad was commissioned by The Knights Who Say Ni! They instructed us to make something that “looks nice and isn’t too expensive,” so we whipped up this delightful recipe from With Salt and Wit. The base is composed of thinly shaved Brussels sprouts, light and tasty enough to make you regret every bad thing you ever said about a Brussels sprout. And the cranberries, bacon bits, toasted walnuts, and homemade vinaigrette bring it all together to create a perfect balance of sweet and savory. Ni!
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts (for me, this was about half a bag)
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 5 bacon slices fried and cut into bits
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- homemade maple Dijon vinaigrette (To make, whisk together 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. While continuing to whisk, gradually add 4 tbsp olive oil until combined.)
Makes 3-4 side salads
- Preheat your oven to 325° and toast your walnuts for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- With a knife or mandolin (I used a mandolin set to the widest setting), cut your Brussels sprouts into thin slices and discard the stems.
- Combined the shaved sprouts, walnuts, bacon, and cranberries together in a large bowl and toss until combined.
- Just before serving, drizzle 1/3 of the dressing over the salad. Toss to coat and taste. Keep adding and tossing dressing 2 tbsp at a time until the desired about of dressing is reached.
- Serve to a band of renegade knights to convince them to let you pass safely through their forest.