Corny as it may be, I’m fiercely proud of the pun in the title. These colorful lightsaber popsicles are just right for our Star Wars menu: flavorful, easy to make, and perfect for the hot weather we’ve been having lately!
Initially, I had grand plans to make three different flavor varieties: strawberry basil, matcha coconut, and Hawaiian blue. You can still do that if you want, but I decided to keep this recipe simple to make it more party friendly. Y’see, except for the Raspberry-Mango Planets (which require a molecular gastronomy kit), everything else on the menu is something you could easily make for a Memorial Day BBQ or Star Wars party. In keeping with that style, I shelved my fancy ideas and pulled out my favorite punch recipe (it’s so simple—you literally pour two ingredients together in a bowl). Dye it three colors in saber-shaped molds, and voila! Instant sci-fi dessert! 🙂
- 2 cups ginger ale, chilled
- 2 cups white grape juice
- red, blue, and green food coloring
- some saber-shaped popsicle molds (I used these, or you can splurge on this awesome Glowing Lightsaber Ice Pop Maker)
Makes approximately 12 popsicles (my popsicle molds hold 1/3 cup liquid)
- Combine your ginger ale and white grape juice. Divide them evenly between 3 liquid measuring cups, or any container with a lip.
- Add 1 drop of blue food coloring to one container, 3 drops of green to another, and 10 drops of red to the last. Stir with a fork until the food coloring is completely blended through.
- Pour the dyed punch into your popsicle molds. This recipe makes approximately 4 of each color, depending on the size.
- Secure the caps on your popsicle molds and place them in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, run warm water over the outside of your molds and gently apply pressure around the outside until the mold easily slips off.
- Serve while defending the galaxy against blistering heat! 🙂