“A towel…is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.“
— The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Happy Towel Day, everybody! As you may recall, I mentioned Towel Day in a previous post this month. It’s a wonderful day dedicated to commemorating the work of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy author, Douglas Adams. So it should be no mystery why I chose Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy as this month’s Book of the Month. 😉
My favorite way to celebrate Towel Day is by reading the book itself or watching the movie with the Mister, but there are lots of other ways to honor the day:
- Read one of its many sequels, like The Restaurant at the End of the Universe or So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.
- Carry your trusty towel with you wherever you go.
- Emblazon everything you own with the number 42.
- Throw a Hitchhiker-themed dinner (using our menu, of course).
- Or brew a cup of our brand new Nutri-matic Tea Blend, a tribute to the machine that made Arthur a beverage that tasted “almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.” Luckily, the Alison’s Wonderland version turned out better than the attempt in the book! 😉
So find a celebratory activity that suits you and let your Hitchhiker flag fly! Also, stay tuned for an extra special Hitchhiker recipe this Thursday. After all, we may already have a complete menu, but May ain’t over yet! 🙂